Voting & Elections

Voting & Elections

Your Vote Counts button

General Voter Information

To be a voter you must be:

  • a U.S. citizen 18 years of age or older.
  • registered to vote in your county.

Check your Ballot

Find personalized voting, ballot and polling place information.

A project of the League
of Women Voters®. logo



1st Tuesday after the 1st Monday in November even-numbered years.


1st Tuesday after the 1st Monday in June even-numbered years.


1st Tuesday after the 1st Monday in November odd-numbered years.

School Board

2nd Tuesday in September in odd number years.

Register to Vote

Are you registered to vote? Do you want to change your party, your address, your name? Contact the Iowa Secretary of State's Office.

When: The deadline is 10 days before primary and general elections and 11 days before other elections. An eligible citizen may register at city halls, Department of Transportation Offices, or their county election Office. Young voters may pre-register at 17 and 1/2 years of age. One may register by mail provided the form is received by deadline. Voters may obtain registration forms at Post Offices, libraries and most other public buildings.

How: You may register with or without a party affiliation. However, if you wish to vote in any PRIMARY election, you must delcare a party. Only registered Democrats & Republicans may vote in their respective PARTY PRIMARY.

However, if a No Party voter wishes to change their affiliation, they can do so, either at any of the places of registration, by mail advising the Election Office they wish to change, or on Election Day, by declaring a PARTY choice on that day and changing their original No Party choice. All registered voters may vote on: referendums, amendments, bonds (issues), nonpartisan candidates.

You may also register to vote up to and including the day of the elections (see the Secretary of State website)


Polls are open from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. for general and primary elections. Polls close at 8 p.m. for other elections. Your registration card shows your precinct name and the location of your polling place, however, you do not need the card to be able to vote.

If you have trouble while voting, call a precinct election official. Ask any associate of the office to show you how to mark and deposit your ballot.

Those in the Armed Forces need not register if they vote a military ballot.

Absentee Voting

Request for ballots should be made by mail to the Commissioner of Elections no earlier than 70 days prior to an election. In requesting an absentee ballot, state your name, voting address, the address to which your ballot should be sent, party affiliation (in PRIMARY ELECTIONS) and sign request as you are registered.

Any qualified elector who becomes a patient or resident of a hospital or health care facility within three days prior to the date of an election, may request an absentee ballot during that period or on election day. Requestor may also telephone the commissioner not later than four hours before the close of the polls. If the request is in order, an absentee ballot will be personally delivered.

For More Information...

In Polk County, contact the Polk County Election Office.

PDF iconVote Smart - an organization to help voters make informed decisions